A Swampy Refuge
A small logging town with manufacturing capabilities of a much larger town. Woods Hollow rests along the shore of a shallow bay, local fishermen ply their trade in the sea, while larger cargo vessels load up on lumber seasonally. The town nearly doubles in population during logging season. Almost all the land in town, and most of the town itself, is owned by the deBrasseo family. What land is left to the public is dominated by the ancient Alevi family, which claims lineage in the area older than the town itself.
- deBrasseo family is led by the aged patriarch Anse. He cares little for local politics and the goings-on of the locals, but he protects with single-minded ferocity the rights of his family, and legacy.
- Staton is the eldest son, the heir apparent. He is impetuous, entitled, and largely unskilled. If the family is left in Staton’s hands, many fear for its future.
- Vernold is a distant relative, and does not bear the deBrasseo family name. He is eager to prove his usefulness, sometimes against even his own better judgement.
- Renee is the youngest daughter of the family. Eager to learn the ins and outs of the family business, she has recently been spending a lot of time in the saw mill.
- The Alevi’s family’s patriarch Ranel. A crotchety old man, he’s concerned very much with the ‘old ways’ in a way the rest of the family is not. Though the family is dedicated to their way of life, they do not necessarily derive their identity from it. The family will close ranks very quickly, however, should any outsider poke fun at or otherwise deride Ranel.
- Anders is the patriarch-to-be. He is highly competent in all skills found in the family, and a master diplomat. Not a young man himself, Anders is concerned with the future of his family and would make agreements that Ranel might not to arm the family, and to attract new blood to marry into the clan.
- Harmon is a young dreamer, prone to falling deeply and quickly into and out of love.